Friday, December 2, 2011

Christmas Present Afghan

Back when I finished the filet crochet afghan for my niece, my mother-in-law was very taken with it.  ChocolateWife started making noises about how much her mother would love an afghan like that but I just ... wasn't committed.  Then earlier this year I started playing with the idea.  What color would she like? What size? What sort of pattern? 

I knew from my experiences making the earlier afghan and trying to make a filet crochet baby blanket this summer that I had a few constraints for the afghan. 1. I would make it all one piece as I had done the earlier afghan so I didn't have to sew pieces together. 2. I wanted the pattern to be symmetrical both vertically and horizontally.  I chose the pattern (poseys I think) from the same book that I got the other pattern (poinsettias) from and I was off.  The yarn is Caron Simply Soft which is very smooth to work with.  I also made the transition to a more ergonomic hook which I think was easier on my hands.  I started the project in September so it took me two or three months.  I'm very excited and proud about it and I think that my mother-in-law will be thrilled and very touched. 


Panel detail - the blanket has a 5 x 3 grid of these flowers

The blanket laid out on our king-size bed (my mother-in-law's is queen).

Another laid out view

No comments:

Post a Comment