Saturday, March 19, 2011

Running or not

I've hardly run at all the last two weeks. I came down with a cold or allergies a few weeks ago and it's made it very hard to run. I wake up feeling all tight in the chest and coughing like crazy. By afternoon I feel like maybe I could run but I don't have any flexibility to do so then. I came home early from work yesterday afternoon and went for a run. I don't know if it was 1.) the 2 week layoff 2.) the cold/cough/allergies or 3.) the 89 degree temperature but I could not even do my 6 minute run/1 minute walk intervals. My HR hit 185 on the 2nd interval. I tried to use my watch as a guide and walk whenever I hit 178 (92% of max) but that only took 60-90 seconds each time. I ended up having a mostly walk. I also went for a long walk last weekend of about 4 miles at a pretty good pace. I can walk 4 miles in just over an hour. It's a bit depressing though that my running speed ranges from 11:00-12:00/mile and my walking is 15:00-16:00. I've been trying to get in little bouts of walking like a mile during my lunch break last Wednesday or 2 miles last weekend when I took the kids to the park and then walked in circles while they played. I walked another 2 miles last night while stroller walking the baby to sleep. I've also done some Yoga from a podcast on the computer and been doing an ab workout.

The bottom line is I'm sort of off-wack or something. I'm actually thinking of going back to a beginner walk-to-run program just to get started again. One of the books I have has a 12 week walk to 5K program. I'm thinking of starting on week 3 or 4 of that. I guess if next week comes and my running is much better and it turns out that it's just a cold, I could leap frog through that program or just skip to the intermediate program in the same book.

Blech.

No comments:

Post a Comment