Monday, July 23, 2012

Workouts 07/16 - 07/22


This was my first week working with my new coach.  For the most part the week was spent doing some tests to learn where I am and setting up a base of training:

Monday - 35:00 of shoulder work with a little core mixed in.  Basically it was 60 seconds on, 15 off for 2x through a circuit of shoulder work and a few crunches.  I used heavy books as my weights which worked well.

Tuesday - 3.16 in 40 minutes (12:39) plus walking warm up/down.  It was 74 degrees and 97% humidity and really miserable out.  The goal for the day was a timed mile run with 200 meters hard effort at the end to see my max or nearly max HR.  GPS was very spotty so my mile was perhaps 1.1 or 1.15 miles.  Slower than I've run a mile in the past 9 months or so but I still pushed it to get the HR (198) the coach wanted to know. 

Wednesday - 35:00 of chest/back work.  Again 60 on, 15 off for 2x through a circuit of work.  The books didn't work as well for this one as it was hard to hold them while doing the work. 

Thursday - 3.6 in 46 (12:46) plus walking warm up/down.  This one was a "Lactate Threshold test".  I looked it up to see what that means and according to Active.com it is the "Lactate Threshold (LT) is the highest exercise intensity attained before a marked increase in blood lactate concentration occurs".  So basically it was after a good warmup to run with high intensity for 20 minutes.  I managed 1.85 miles and av hr of 178 during the 20 minutes of the test.  The humidity was still 97 but somehow felt less oppressive but still pretty bad.

Friday - 35:00 Legs.  No need for books.  Lunges this way, that way, the other way, and all three ways.  Also some squats. 

Saturday - 11.75 in 1:00 on the bike.  I was supposed to keep it in zone 2 and at 85-90 cadence throughout.  I don't think I managed either but it felt like a good workout.  My legs were sore the next day anyway.

Saturday - I was supposed to have done a 30 minute core routine on Friday and didn't get to it.  I was going to do it Saturday but I woke up with a blinding headache, did the bike ride regardless, and tried to do the core workout. I made it 15 minutes in and gave up. 

Sunday - 4.75 in 1:00 (12:37) plus walking warm up/down. The direction was a zone 2 run to build base.  I set my watch and did just that and it was quite nice concentrating on form. 

The coach also asked me to start recording my food so I did Saturday.  It's very strange to record my food and especially to think that someone else will read it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment