Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Next Training Plan

My next race is not until February 19th which means I have some time between training plans. Again, I find myself in that position of many options.  If I choose to repeat the plan I just used (Jeff Galloway's to time goal plan), I could sort of ignore the first 5-7 weeks and jump in around the middle of December assuming I continue doing 8-9 mile runs every other weekend until then. 

I could also use the Runner's World Smart Coach program.  I put in my mile time and race date and it laid out a 19 week plan for me.  I don't think I would want to do a 19 week plan but I could do a 10 week plan from the Smart Coach program pretty reasonably.  I like that the Smart Coach plans show paces for each run.  The Speedwork days would be challenging but not impossible for me.  I'm very interested that the Long runs start at 10 miles: 10,11,11,12,4,12,13,13,13, HM.  I wonder if that would run me down. 

I know a friend who uses the Hal Higdon marathon trainng plan and likes it.  He has a number of readily available plans including 3-4 12-week HM plans.  And there are the Nike+ programs. I listen to a Podcast where one of the hosts just used the PRSFit marathon training plan.  So there are many options.  I definitely want a plan that will work with the run-walk-run technique as I plan to stay with it but beyond that, I'm not sure what I want to do. 

I think for the remainder of October and November, I'll stick with running 3-4 days a week and trying to get in a 9-10 mile run at least every other weekend with a medium long run on the other weekends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment