Monday, October 10, 2011

See Jane Not Run Half-Marathon

When last we visited our intrepid half-marathoner she was ready to run.  She had laid out her clothes, food, phone, money, and sunscreen.  She had even gotten out two Ziploc bags - one for gels so they don't make a mess and one for the ipod and phone in case it rains. 

I was supposed to pick up a friend (online friend who I've never met) on my way and I texted her around dinner time.  I went to bed early and slept relatively well (much better than the night before my last half-marathon).  I woke up at 4:30 before my alarm could go off at 4:40 and got up.  When I got up it was raining which is very good news for the Austin area.  Really good news.  I got showered, dressed, and ate.  I had a text from the friend saying that she had made a mistake and wasn't registered for the race (she bought a Zozi special but didn't realize she also needed to register).  So I didn't need to pick her up but it was really raining out.  I felt very nervous but I think that's typical.  I wondered if I should go in the rain but didn't know if that was just my nerves trying to invent a reason to back out. I considered waking ChocolateWife but didn't want her to lose out on sleep.  As I was standing at the door with my pack on my shoulder, she got up and came out to say good luck.  I looked at her and asked, "Should I go?"

I felt that the latest I could leave the house and make it to the race was 6:15 and it was about 5:45 or 5:55 at this time.  So we both sat down in front of the computer to watch for tweets or e-mail or FB announcements from any of my online friends who were racing or the organizers.  One of ChocolateWife's fantastic suggestions was that I go stand in the rain for 5 minutes which I actually liked (I didn't actually go do it) because if I was miserable standing for 5 minutes, I would probably be uber miserable running in it for 2.5 hours +.  About 6:05 we saw a tweet that the race was cancelled. Then another and another. After another 30 minutes the race organizers tweeted, sent a facebook message, and e-mailed us. 

I was and am disappointed but am more happy that we got rain. I also got the benefits of the training. I know I learned and grew through the process. I know I got faster and stronger.  I'll do it again.

I haven't decided if I want to pick up another race this fall but I'm definitely racing Livestrong Half in February.

No comments:

Post a Comment